Peseiro’s comment Hints at Rift over Players’ Invitation as NFF Confirms Ekong, Bonke out of Sao Tome Clash

0
661

The Nigeria Football Federation has confirmed that William Troost-Ekong and Innocent Bonke did not travel with the Super Eagles to Agadir for the clash against Sao Tome & Principe for the Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

23 players and a team of Coaches arrived the Coastal Moroccan City early hours, Sunday, ahead of Tomorrow’s game at Stade Adrar.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the Nigeria FA identified Ekong and Bonke as the only players left out of the travelling party for the games.
The players both picked up injuries, Ekong during the AFCON qualifier against Sierra Leone in Abuja, while Bonke suffered a knock in the friendly against Mexico last month.
Both have also returned to the respective club sides where they’ll undergo treatment.
Meanwhile, speaking ahead of Monday’s game, Super Eagles coach Jose Peseiro emphasized the need to call up the best players for big games.
Peseiro’s position on invitation to the NT perhaps stems from concerns he did not have a great input in the Players called up for the Friendlies and AFCON qualifiers.
“We want to be the team at the top of the table, so we must fight hard against the opponents,” the Super Eagles head Coach said.
“Every match, we must commit ourselves fully to winning it. As I said earlier in the week, Nigeria have huge pedigree and they also have both quality and quantity of players.
“It is important that we select the best all the time to win the big games.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here