Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) top shots are moving in accordance with a part of their resolutions from their recent extraordinary congress in Benin City, as the body has now proposed to have September 22 as new date for their much-expected election.
While the initial date of September 29 is said to coincide with a forthcoming congress of the continental body, Confederation of African Football (CAF), the NFF top guns have opted to bring the election date forward, rather than shift it to a later date.
However, the development has given rise to further speculation that a conspiracy theory is unfolding over the resumed hearing of the case brought against the current executive committee of the NFF by Ambassador Chris Giwa and his factional group.
The decision last week by Federal High Court in Jos to adjourn the case till September 2 was interpreted as a way of ensuring Giwa’s claim to leadership in the NFF would elapse and be overtaken by the next election, which would then have been only four days after the next court hearing.
That argument has now been concretised by feelers from The Glasshouse that the said election that would render Giwa’s claim elapsed will now hold three days before the Jos court sits again.
The information on offer from the NFF secretariat in Abuja indicates that the officials have concluded plans with the electoral commission to organise fresh elections into the executive committee on September 22.
This will be a clear one week before the previous date of September 29 that was endorsed by the NFF congress.
This change of date, it was gathered, was due to the clash with the CAF Congress, which will take place in Morocco on September 29.
It is a fall out from the NFF extraordinary congress verdict in Benin City last week that mandated the electoral committee to come up with a new and more convenient date for the elective congress.
However, it is yet to be known whether the polls will still go on to take place in Katsina as previously noted in the electoral programme.